Hi all. So happy to be bringing you a second blog post this week featuring my new collection of products from Spellbinders. My first release includes dies, stamps, embossing folders and a
very special book kit. The project today is all about mixed media and highlights some of the ways I use stamps and dies.
Preferred Partner Products:
IMAGINE CRAFTS: StazOn Midi Ink Pads (Midnight Blue)
SAKURA: Pigma Micron Marker
Cradled wood panel, watercolor paper, acrylic paint, black gesso, paintbrush, scissors, white gel pen (white), adhesive, rub on letters, hardware, optical lens
This artwork started with a 6 x 6 x .75 inch cradled wood panel. I painted the surface and sides with black gesso. Then I layered the top surface with multiple colors of acrylic paint until I was
happy with the background. I knew I was going to be covering up a lot of it so it didn’t need to be perfect.
I layered several colors of acrylic paint onto a sheet of watercolor paper to create paper for my die cuts. I chose light colors as my background was dark and added some extra interest by stamping my French Text stamp randomly on the paper.
I ran the painted sheet of watercolor paper through my Platinum Die Cutting and Embossing Machine along with the dies from both my Drip Drop and Robo Square sets. When you nest all the dies before running them through the machine, you end up with extra die cuts. When nested, the 5 dies in these 2 sets give you 11 die cuts.
Once I had my die cuts, I glued them to the surface of the panel. As I often do, I hand cut many of the die cuts to create new shapes for my piece. Many of these were placed around the edges of the panel to add a ‘frame’ to the work, something that I believe makes your art look more finished. I also glued a small circle hand painted in a different color behind the circular X die cut in the upper right hand corner. It’s all about the layering after all.
The next step is outlining the edges of all the die cuts, which I did with both black and white pens. At this point, I added some mixed media elements in the form of hardware and an optical lens. The piece was finished off with a few rub-ons letters outlined in white pen to make them pop.
As always, I am eager to see how you put your own artistic spin on these products.