Glimmer Background Collection – Not Just for Backgrounds with Jean Manis
Hello crafty friends! I’m Jean, a papercrafter living in the Pacific Northwest blogging at Right as Rain. I am thrilled to be on the Spellbinders blog today sharing projects created with the Glimmer Background Collection.
I am relatively new to foiling with the Glimmer Hot Foil System and had a blast trying out the four plates in the collection. I foiled with different colors of foil, including Rainbow Foil, foiled on different colors of cardstock, and I tried dry-embossing with the plates.
My number one piece of advice is to experiment!
The plates, measuring 2 ½” x 6″, create gorgeous backgrounds (as the collection name implies) and the variations are nearly limitless. I crafted three cards in which I used foiled backgrounds as card elements, cutting the foiled cardstock into smaller pieces. Let’s take a look!
On the Shine Bright card, I foiled the Hand Drawn Wave plate to create rainbows.
Here are the steps:
- Foil the Hand Drawn Wave plate with Rainbow Foil on Black Licorice cardstock strips twice. I rotated the direction of the rainbow pattern 180 degrees the second time so that the colors were in a different position on the pattern.
- Cut the foiled cardstock with a 2″ square die. Each strip will yield two squares.
- Foil the sentiment from the Everyday Sentiments II set in Black Foil on Whip Cream cardstock and trim.
- Adhere the squares to a 4 ½” square white cardstock card base.
- Add the sentiment with foam adhesive.
Bazzill orange-peel white cardstock; dot adhesive; foam adhesive
On the Color-Blocked Hello card, I foiled the Modern Lines plate on different colors of cardstock, cut those into strips, and arranged the strips to create a bright, modern background.
Here are the steps:
- Foil the Modern Lines plate with Gold Foil on to five different colors of cardstock. Cut the foiled cardstock with a die measuring ¾” wide.
- Trim the pieces into random sections and adhere to a 3 ¾” x 5″ panel. Adhere panel to a white cardstock base.
- Cut Bold Type Hello sentiment from gold foil and Whip Cream cardstock; assemble.
- Foil the sentiment from the Everyday Sentiments II set in gold foil on vellum and cut with a circle die. Add Hello sentiment; adhere vellum circle to card.
Stampin’ Up, My Favorite Things, and Bazzill colored cardstock; Bazzill vellum; Bazzill Orange Peel textured cardstock; gold foil cardstock; Nuvo craft glue; dot adhesive
On the Rainbow Twinkle Lights card, I foiled the Twinkle Lights plate with the Rainbow Foil and used the Woven plate to create a dry-embossed background.
Here are the steps:
- Foil the Twinkle Lights plate with Rainbow Foil on Black Licorice cardstock. Trim to 2 ½” x 5 ½”.
- With the Woven plate dry-emboss cardstock twice (rotating the plate for the second pass). Trim dry-embossed cardstock to A2 card size. Adhere to A2 card base.
- Heat emboss sentiment on Whip Cream cardstock and cut with circle die. Cut a second circle from vellum. Adhere circles.
- Add circle to black cardstock; adhere assembly to card base.
Bazzill vellum; Bazzill colored cardstock; Technique Tuesday stamp set; Versafine black ink; dot adhesive; double-sided tape
I am delighted you stopped by the Spellbinders blog today. I hope I’ve inspired you to grab some cardstock, grab some foil, and play with the Glimmer Background Collection!
So nice and bright! Like these a lot. Thanks and God bless.
What an amazing job you did! I love all the cards especially the Hello with the modern multi colored background. Probably good advice you gave, but your results look easy!
Linda W. (ScrappinBari)
Wonderful trio of cards by Jean! I’ve never foiled but the results look amazing – may have to try it! Especially love the You Light Up My Life with the foiled dots on black cardstock. So fun with the embossed woven card!!