Hello everyone! Bonnie Crane here from Bonniecarollee Makes Cards and I am excited to be on Spellbinders’ Blog with a fabulous holiday project.
Handmade Christmas gifts are the best! I have such an appreciation for the thought and love that goes into something made for me and I know my family and friends feel the same when I make a gift for them.
Now add a handmade bowl accompanied by a coordinating gift tag created with a beautiful collection of products from Christmas Flea Market Finds, and any gift, handmade or not, is made that much more special.
Vintage Handcrafted Square Based and Sides Bowl
These beautiful, deep etched die sets can cut through thick materials such as multiple layers of fabric, leather, and thin metal. I chose to use medium-weight chipboard covered with patterned paper to create very sturdy bowls. The die set with the hexagon base produces a large, six-sided bowl. The second die set creates three different styles of smaller bowls.
- For the Hexagon Bowl, six sides and the hexagon base were cut from the chipboard. For each of the other containers, four sides and the square base were die cut.
- Patterned papers were selected from Home For The Holidays and Christmas Velvet to cover the chipboard. For each container, the dies were used to cut one base and two side pieces to adhere to the inside and outside of each
- The liquid adhesive was used to adhere the patterned paper die cuts to what will be the outside of the side panels. The edges were embossed with either gold or silver embossing powder by dragging the pad of the Versamark ink on all of the side edges and coating it with the embossing powder.
- I wanted to hide the beginning and ending of the sewing thread. The patterned paper, for the inside of the side panels, was only adhered down the center of the chipboard. By leaving the edges ‘open’. the thread could be slipped in and adhered between the patterned paper and the chipboard. As the panels were stitched together, the patterned paper edges were sealed with adhesive.
- A blanket stitch was used to construct the containers using metallic embroidery floss. I found it easiest to stitch all the side panels to the base first and then stitch the sides together.
The bowls were decorated with images from Christmas Pines and Jingle Bells Miscellany Printed Die Cuts. Some were adhered directly to the side panels of the bowls and others were mounted with foam squares. A bow using Create A Flutter & Flower Bow adorns on of the bowls.
- All of the side panels were embellished with Peach or Teal Opalescent Sequins and finished off with Nuvo Crystal Drops Morning Dew.
A coordinating tag was created for each of the four bowls. The same patterned paper on the bowls was used for the background of the tag.
- Both patterned paper and white card stock were die cut using the Create A Decorative Tag die set for each tag. Two tags have a combination of two of the patterned papers.
- Some stamping was done on the white card stock tag. Using Hand Made Holidays Clear Stamps, a small image was stamped at the top of the tag in colored ink that coordinated with the patterned paper. Using black ink, the words ‘For’ and ‘From’ was spaced out on the left-hand side of the tag and finished off with a cute circular ‘Handmade’ logo on the bottom.
- One tag has a stamped image from the Compliments of the Season Clear Stamps and another with Hand Made Holidays Clear Stamps on the patterned paper. The ‘Merry Christmas’ sentiments were stamped with Versamark ink and gold or black embossed.
- The patterned paper tags were adhered to the white card stock ones.
- For one of the tags with a patterned paper combination, blue velvet ribbon was used to the border where the papers meet.
- Like the bowls, the tags were decorated with images and embellished with sequins.
- The ties were created with the embroidery floss used on their coordinating bowls. It was looped four times and fed through the tag hole. After it was knotted, the floss was trimmed.
Thank you for your visit and we hope to see you again! For more ideas on using Spellbinders’ products, please visit me at Bonniecarollee Makes Cards.
Grafix Medium Weight Chipboard, Black, DMC Jewel Effects Embroidery Floss; Gemstones, Light Emerald Green, DMC Precious Metals Effects Embroidery Floss; Silver, Dark Gold.